Sunday, December 11, 2005

and the award goes to...

The first thing that came to my mind this morning as I woke up was the strangest memory. When I was in the 7th grade one of my classes was an exploratory block. The point of this class was to allow students to experience several different types of classes. I spent 6 weeks in various classes, from home ec. to a careers class where the teacher told me my eye brows were huge and that pharmacology (what I wanted to be at the time) was a boring profession. Way to encourage the future there, Mrs. Whatever-your-name-was. Anyways, one of the classes was shop. Yes, you read correctly, I was actually allowed near power tools. I wasn't exemplary in this class by any means, yet somehow my teacher nominated me for student of the week. I would not have been surprised if I had been nominated in a core subject area like English or social studies (yes, I was a nerd; still am). But shop? I, to this day, still have no idea why he chose me out of all his students as student of the week. I don't remember all the prestige and benefits that came with this title, except that I was allowed to cut to the front of the lunch line that week. I think I may have been given a pencil or something, too.

I think I'll try to choose one of my students for this honor. I don't know if there are any benefits with the award other than knowing your teacher thinks you're a good student.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

oooooh oooh Ms.K can I be Student of the week :) I want a pencil too :) Or just the "geeky prestige", it never really goes away does it, even when you have cool friends like Kare and Mish....we're still geeks. LOL.

Kelli said...

you need to add Karen to your needs to update blog list! The shame!

Angie-la said...

you know, you can get pencils with stuff printed on them, messages for students... my ap history teacher had "c'mon, it can't be THAT hard" put on ours...

but then it was hard and i felt let down. *sigh*

p.s. come up with more stuff for christmas cuz your list sucks.