Friday, January 20, 2006

Where were you?

10 years ago: I must have been a sophomore, too, since Karebear and I are the same age. I was living in Main Egg two doors down from Mish (btw, why doesn't she have a blog?); we'd make our daily trek to Owens for meals and we had some ridiculous Sociology class with a professor who obviously smoked too much (but isn't one cigarette too much?). I was a psych major at the time but took my first Spanish class that spring semester. Who knew it would change my life forever?

5 years ago: I lived in Harrisonburg after coming back from a year in Venezuela. It was my "what the heck do I want to do with my life" year, or so I thought. Too bad I'm still living that year...anyways, I had two jobs, one as an office manager at a crisis pregnancy center and another as a home/school liaison with Migrant Education Program. I loved that job and wished they would offer me full time, but that didn't happen until April when I had already decided to join staff.

3 years ago: I was in Venezuela for round 2, living with my favorite family in the world in the midst of a 3 month long nationwide strike. I remember the guys on the street corners who bought 2-liter Cokes in Colombia and sold them on the street for a huge markup because there was none in any of the stores. Everything was shut down and the lines for gasoline were literally miles long. Buses didn't run and taxis were also scarce and it was nearly impossible to do ministry.

1 year ago: Yikes, I don't like to think about this. I had just heard back from Hewitt that I got a job as a customer service associate, and I was actually excited about it because I was so desperate for a job. At least the uncertainty of getting the bills paid would shortly be ending.

yesterday: Tried once again, and almost surely unsuccessfully, to teach reflexive verbs to my Spanish II classes. Took my co-worker Tim to Whataburger so we could grab lunch. Had coffee with a friend and caught up on our lives. Definitely the highlight of an otherwise horrible week.

today: Same ol' same ol'. Had my terrible, rotten, no-good first period today (my school is on an A/B block schedule so today was a B day). To start it all off, one student saw his progress report grade, wasn't happen, and decided to let a stream of obscenities fly out. Office referral number one for the day. As I'm writing it up, he starts calling another kid derogatory terms (nevermind that it wasn't even related to the other kids true race) and the second kid was ready to pound him. So, I had to send kid #2 outside to cool down while I finished the referral. The kid who called me stupid on Wednesday was in true form again today. He threw paper all over the room but I could never catch him in the act. He was disruptive, etc. I told him that we were going to have a conference after school because his behavior was unacceptable. The bell rang and on his way out he hurled a paper wad at me, aiming for my face but hit me in the chest instead. It actually stung a little so I know if it had hit me in the face it would have hurt. I was furious! I wrote up an office referral and marched straight to the office during second (my planning period). My favorite assistant principal was in so I talked to him about the issue and he called the student down. He reemed this kid out for a while. I felt bad for the kid but at the same time he has been this way for a while and this isn't his first occurance. Another teacher said I should file charges for assault because that is what he was intentionally trying to do, even if just with paper. I have had it with this kid, though. I shouldn't have any further problems, though, after today. Parents have been notified and a conference is in the works. I will not put up with disrespect any more!

tomorrow: Sleeping in! Going to the library is on the agenda for the morning, then I have a test review thingie for yet another test for certification that I have to take in February. That is most of the afternoon, then I plan on hitting SuperTarget to finally stock up on groceries. It has been rough lately but finally payday came! Yipee!

5 snacks i enjoy: peanut M&M's, Dove chocolate, kettlecorn, white chocolate covered pretzels, Nutella spread on almost anything

5 songs i know all the words to: Ummm, this is a hard one...Living on a Prayer/Bon Jovi; Where the Streets Have No Name/U2; You Can Call Me Al/Paul Simon; Born to Fly/Sara Evans; Nothing But the Taillights/Clint Black (this is in no way an exhaustive list...)

5 things i would do with $100,000,000.00: Get out of debt! Pay of those pesky school loans finally! Then buy a house or two, give lots away to various ministries, never work another day in my life, and volunteer where I wanted. I'd also go to back to school just because I love learning. And I'd travel!

5 locations i'd like to run away to: Hawaii, Venezuela, Greece, Australia, Mexico

5 bad habits i have: Eating crap food; not exercising enough; not having consistent QT's; not flossing regularly; gossiping

5 things i like doing: Watching movies, traveling, reading, cross stitching, playing with my kitties

5 things i would never wear: anything that shows off my flourescent white legs; belly shirts; leg warmers; matching outfit of boyfriend/spouse; holiday cardigan (you teachers know exactly what I'm talking about!)

5 t.v. shows i like: Lost; ER; What Not to Wear; Extreme Makeover Home Edition; Law & Order: SVU

5 movies i like: About a Boy; Spanglish; While You Were Sleeping; Return to Me; Pirates of the Carribbean

5 favorite toys: I'm broke; I can't afford any toys!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

but you'd look so cute in a Christmas Tree sweater or an orange ghosty one! :)

Karen said...

Hey, Skettie, If you do buy a Christmas Tree Sweater, buy two and we can be twins!!!
WHATABURGER - I used to LOVE WHATBURGER!! You could walk to one from my house and we used to get french fries to go with my mom's egg sandwichs all the time - I am so jealous!!