Saturday, August 26, 2006

i'm a survivor!

I survived the first week of school, YAY!!! Only 35 more to go...

Highlights from the first week:
*I love my classes! I have a great bunch of kids this year and even though I can tell I'll have a couple of challenging ones, on the whole they are awesome!
*I thought my 4th period on A days would be a problem (big class, lots of talkers) but I acted totally goofy with them yesterday and they loved it! I think we will have a lot of fun in that class, although it will still be a challenge to get them to stop talking.
*Only having one prep this year (Spanish II only) is going to be fantastic.
*My student council kids rock! They are super motivated and fun and it's easy to lead them because they basically lead themselves.
*My students are actually calling me by my name. They will start to say "miss, miss!" but then remember and quickly add on my last name. It's great!
*I have a couple of students who have already admitted that they love Spanish (non-native speakers). I'm looking forward to feeding into that for them.
*Even though it's been somewhat of a nightmare with the A/C problem, a guy from the district's maintenance team came out yesterday and he's going to make sure the problem is fixed. They are going to get rid of the silly window unit and put in a central system! Not sure when this will happen, but I'm encouraged that things are moving forward.
*I've had some fun surprises this week that I'm still smiling about:)

I feel so blessed right now! We'll see how I feel in another month or so...

3 comments:

Karen said...

Skettie!! I am so glad to hear that you are starting the year in such a fantastic way!! And only one prep... Sweet! I love hearing you sound so HAPPY!! (AND in response to your comment on my blog - I HAD NO CLUE about your 9th grade metal phase, too funny!!)

Kelli said...

I love surprises ;)

yeah...you sound HAPPY HAPPY! SO GOOD :)

Summer said...

i am so glad to hear you so upbeat... sounds like a great start! hope it continues and you really enjoy your year!