Tuesday, November 29, 2005

venting session

I don't want to be a complainer. I wish I could see the glass half full more often. But I'm going to take this opportunity to gripe about Dallas. It has been a lot harder to get adjusted to living here than I thought. No, it's not the landscape that's hard. Yeah, I miss the mountains but I haven't had them in over 3 years so I'm getting used to it. The pollution stinks (literally and figuratively) but at least it doesn't reek of retention ponds like Orlando. (I like Orlando, by the way; I have a lot of wonderful friends there that make me miss it tremendously!) What has been the hardest for me is getting to know people, mainly other Christians. I love the people I work with; they are so great and supportive. But I don't have a connection with them like I do with my Christian friends. I don't want to assume that they are not believers; some of them very well could be. Anyways, I have been trying to find a church in the area. People kept telling me there are so many great ones here so I was excited to see what was out there. Well, they failed to mention that they are great churches if you happen to be married. Every church I go to, I'm surrounded by married people. I don't hate married people, it's just hard when you're the only single person. It's like being a cat at a dog show...you just don't fit in that well all the time. What makes it worse is that I have been trying to connect with a church that I like. I emailed someone about the singles ministry and even filled out a little card asking for someone to contact me. This has been over the span of 3 weeks, and I have yet to hear from anyone. I know, it's the holiday season and they are probably busy. But I can't help thinking, what if I was a non-Christian desperately looking for answers? I need fellowship in the worst way and even when I reach out to people, I get nowhere. I'm finding that Dallas is very superficial. People are very friendly when you first meet them. But getting to know them on a deeper level is almost impossible! I should clarify; this has been my experience at churches. I have not felt that way about my co-workers. Go figure. Churches here are currently batting a zero...

1 comment:

Kelli said...

first off, if they aren't contacting you immediately...even if you are a christian...I'm not sure they are a great church. I know our pastor came from Fort Worth area but you don't want another PCA church. I will be praying for you and friends.