Sunday, November 13, 2005

hummus recipe

I've been asked for my delicious hummus recipe. I should keep it a secret...but sharing is caring, right?

What you'll need:
1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans (16-19 oz)--drain and save the liquid
1/4 cup Tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (one small lemon squeezes about this much)
1 clove garlic (if you like garlic a lot, you can add more)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, adding only enough of the saved liquid to make it as thick or thin as you like; the more liquid, the thinner the dip. Blend for 2-3 minutes to a smooth paste. Viola! You can garnish with parsley sprigs if you want to get fancy and you can also sprinkle olive oil and paprika on top. I like to eat hummus with almost any veggie (carrots and cucumbers are my faves) and wheat thins. It's best with pita, but haven't quite mastered making a good pita yet.

This recipe comes from "A Taste of Lebanon" cook book by Mary Salloum. It is filled with great Lebanese delights!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

tell me again why you weren't a missionary in that part of the world?