Thursday, December 16, 2004

venting session

I'm fed up with Christmas! Or I should say the commercialization of Christmas. I know that we live in a society that tries to take God out of everything, but what happened today really ticked me off. It isn't even that big of a thing, I simply went to Walmart this morning to look for a box of Christmas cards. I dug through 2 bins and looked on various shelves for cards that said something about Christ's birth, since that is the original reason for celebrating the holiday. Not only could I not find cards that said anything about Jesus, I couldn't even find cards that said, "Merry Christmas"! I found plenty with Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays. Even the Thomas Kincade cards didn't say it! They at least had verses from the Bible in them, but they had nothing to do with Jesus. One was about prayer...yes, prayer is important but can we at least acknowledge Jesus in the semi-Christian cards?

As I left Walmart without a purchase, I was so frustrated I wanted to cry. I hate the passive indifference of our society! I wish I could express in words the hollowness I feel inside as I think of the state of this world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is sad. i bet if people could take Jesus out of Christianity everyone would want to be christian. but then what would be the point???

-jon
ps i forgot to put my name on my entry about reading your blog. so now you know who posted that. :)