Monday, December 13, 2004

bird phobia

As I was walking into work this morning, I saw a couple of sand hill cranes hanging out near the front doors. I was a little taken aback. If you don't know what sand hill cranes are, they are tall gray birds that look very menacing although from what I hear, they rarely attack anything except their reflection in car windows. I was a little nervous, but okay until I saw 3 more cranes standing nearby. I don't like birds anyways, of any size, so this made me exceptionally nervous. 3 of them started to walk away as I approached, but one took this stance and was frozen. I don't know if he was scared and hoping I wouldn't see him, or if he was getting ready for the attack. I kept telling myself, "don't be afraid, they can sense fear". I don't really know if that's true, but that's what they say about dogs. So I tried to walk to the door as confidently as I could. My hands were completely full so I had to press the button to open the door automatically and in my mind I saw sand hill cranes running into the building to cause mass chaos. Of course, that didn't happen. It would have made an interesting blog though!

I went to the grocery store on Saturday and as I was walking out to my car, all I could hear were the calls of thousands of birds in a field next to the parking lot. It was creepy and I felt like I was in the horror flick "The Birds".

One day I was leaving my apartment to go running (okay, walking; who am I kidding?) and there was this small white crane sitting on the roof of my car. I shooed it away but every time I would turn my back on it, it would head back to my car. I kept chasing this thing away from my car for like 15 minutes. Frustrating! I finally gave up and went walking. When I got back, that dumb bird was still around but it was sitting on someone else's car. At least it wasn't mine...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so now i know why you like cats... they eat birds. hahahaha. the sandhill cranes are pretty scary... especially that weird noise they make.

-Jon