Friday, January 19, 2007

bridesmaid dresses

I am in a wedding this summer. My friend is getting married in Florida but is originally from Michigan and that is where she is ordering the dresses. She sent me the info for a shop here in DFW that would have the exact dress so I could try it on and figure out what size I needed. This is always a horrifying experience in my opinion. And this was no exception. I walked into the shop and found an associate. I asked her if I can try on the dress and she said, "We probably don't have it!" I said the website said they did and she pointed to the back corner and said, "The bridesmaid dresses are back there," and walked away. I walked to the back of this massive dress shop and found the bridesmaid dresses; it was complete chaos. There was no order, I had no idea where to start and there was no one back there to help me. After looking through the mass of dresses for a few minutes, I finally just left. They are on my black list now...

I called the bridal shop in Michigan and spoke to a sweet woman who was very helpful. I gave her my measurements (this is never fun to do!) and she looked at the size chart for this dress. According to the chart, my bust and hips are one size and my waist is 2 sizes bigger! What the heck!? So, I ended up having to order for my waist size knowing that the bust is going to be out of control! Why do they make dresses like this!? Thank goodness for alterations.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I was like 3 sizes to big at Karen's wedding...it's a nightmare, really it is.

Summer said...

that's just the way it goes... i have the same problem and always have to get it altered. it's like they're fitted on barbies or something.

annette said...

or that they think if you have a normal size waist you must have a chest the size of pamela anderson!

Kris said...

Bridal wear is sized really differently from other ready-to-wear. It's a sick experience - to find out that according to the wedding "experts", you are 2-3 sizes larger than what you wear off the racks.

Plus, it gives them alteration sales. Figures.

velma96 said...

I ran into this same type of problem with my own wedding gown!!! My dress was 3 sizes bigger than my normal clothing size - all because my bust, hips, and waist are 3 different sizes according to their charts!! it's so depressing!!! on the one day that you're supposed to feel like a beautiful princess, you end up feeling FAT because your dress is so huge!